Wednesday, October 24, 2007

SECONDARY 1E2 SUNGEI BULOH TRIP SUMMARY

Done By: Suthan Selvam
Leddin Tan

My first impression about this trip was that it would be very boring with us receiving the biggest treatment: Mosquito bites. The trip proved how wrong I was. We went there and were treated to a pungent smell of mosquito repellent in the air. Then Miss Poh distributed all the necessary items like all the pails and the disposable cups. Then, we set off. Well, the first part already proved wrong and I was grumbling all the way but didn’t show my attitude. We were asked to measure the pH value of the water there. I cheered up a bit, but my spirits were dampened after it rained.

We were asked to go to Platform 1 to collect seawater and to compare our results. The walk was boring, but the scenery was excellent. I particularly enjoyed staring, taking in the cool breeze and just looking at the vast body of the ocean. After collecting the seawater, the teachers allowed us to roam around Platform 1, but obviously around it. I got my fair share of watching some long beak fishes and was very amazed at the tranquility of the area. The long beak fishes were quite nice to look at, their bright bottle-green mouths or their beaks, as the teachers call it. There were many mangroves, their roots sticking out of the water. I also took the chance to read all about mangroves. There were lazy snails relaxing on the tree, with their multi-colored shells visible. I was amazed as I had only seen snails with brown shells and not fashionable colors like the ones here in Sungei Buloh.

We collected the data and went back to have a snack and then we left. Mr. Leong, who went with the other group, showed us all the pictures taken. Other than my friends, the other route my other classmates went also was fun, looking at the crabs, squirrels and monitor lizards pictures taken close up. I was also amazed at how close they could go up to the monitor lizards. Girls are supposed to be scared of them. It was an enjoyable experience for Leddin and me as we learnt about wildlife and how to collect data and comparing them. I hope Yusof Ishak Secondary would post more excursions for us like this one. Sorry we don’t have any videos or pictures to show.

No comments: